Disclosure: We earn a commission on qualifying purchases made through backlinks at no extra cost to you. We are also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Please read our privacy policy for how we use your data and GDPR.

Are you a digital nomad concerned about your income-source tools being stolen abroad?

Or do you love scuba diving with sharks?

Well, then, you know the importance of having travel insurance. That’s why SafetyWing introduced Nomad Insurance 2.0, a travel medical insurance with added benefits.

Officially released in October 2023, travelers can now add adventure sports and electronics theft to their SafetyWing Nomad Insurance travel medical insurance coverage. Plus, the claims process has been streamlined with a faster turnaround time.

Note: At the time of writing this article, adventure sports and electronics theft are not available to US residents but are expected in the future. Insured items and prices mentioned in this article are subject to change; please visit Nomad Insurance for the most up-to-date information.

Here’s how it works.

SafetyWing Nomad Insurance Electronics Theft Add-on

In the unfortunate event your electronics get stolen, SafetyWing will reimburse you up to $3,000 per active insurance period (364 consecutive days), up to $ 1,000 per eligible electronic, with a $6,000 lifetime maximum. No deductible is required, but the depreciated value of electronics will be calculated and used for reimbursement amounts.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

  • you have to take reasonable care of your electronics (don’t go to the washroom and leave your laptop on the cafe table unattended)
  • theft must be reported to the police within 24 hours (get a police report)
  • proof of the existence of your electronic items (ex., purchase receipt, photo of your electronics in your luggage)
  • the electronics theft add-on is only available for policies of 28 days or longer, so it’s also great for backpackers

Covered electronics: laptops, cameras and lenses, smartphones, e-readers, music players, tablets, headphones and earphones, drones

Safeguard Your Journey

As a digital nomad, your laptop, camera, or smartphone is more than just a device — it’s your office, your connection to clients, and the key to your livelihood. The loss of these essential electronics can cause significant disruption in your work and travel plans, and that’s why you need to insure them.

Moreover, casual travelers and backpackers need to insure their electronics, too.

Smartphones now power the majority of cameras, even more so when traveling. And with the newest Samsung and iPhone flagship models costing $1,000 to $1,500, it’s a practical decision to insure them from theft abroad.

Nomad Insurance 2.0

Adventure Sports

From bungee jumping to zip lining, these are thrilling rushes that can be enjoyed every so often. However, Nomad Insurance already covers these sports.

In fact, the standard Nomad Insurance plan covers over 90 sports, including ice climbing under 4,500 meters, kayaking, and skiing on-piste. Most backpackers and digital nomads will not require the adventure sports add-on.

However, there are notable activities where you would need the adventure sports add-on, and here are some of them:

  • boxing and martial arts (think Thailand and Muay Thai)
  • parachuting, parasailing, and paragliding
  • skydiving
  • scuba diving
  • whitewater rafting

See the policy for a complete list of covered sports in the standard and adventure sports add-on plans.

Easy to Enroll

When you sign up for Nomad Insurance, you’ll have the option of choosing the add-ons for adventure sports and electronics theft. Each of these add-ons costs $10 every four weeks (subject to change). You can also choose specific dates for coverage.

What Else Does Nomad Insurance Cover?

$250,000 ($100,00 for ages 65-69) travel medical insurance with a $250 deductible: The most essential coverage you’ll need on your travels for your health and life. SafetyWing can also automatically make proof of coverage letter for visa application purposes.

Home country visit: For every three months of active coverage and abroad, get 30 days (15 days for the US)of coverage while visiting your home country for emergencies.

Emergency evacuation up to $100,000 lifetime: With the pandemic, wars starting without notice, and natural disasters, don’t overthink not having this benefit.

Driver or passenger travel medical insurance for motor vehicle accidents: Renting motorcycles to get around in developing countries is often more practical and economical. Ensure the vehicle, the driver, or you are appropriately licensed in said country to ensure coverage.

Lost checked luggage: You or someone you know has probably lost their luggage. And it’s not just on airlines; it happens with trains, cruises, and bus rides. It’s better to be insured for this. Coverage includes up to $500. per item, $3,000 maximum per term, and $6,000 lifetime benefit.

Travel delay: Flight delays happen every day. And if you’re traveling during the high season, chances are higher. This benefit includes up to $100 daily for two days for meals and accommodation if your trip is delayed by 12 hours or more.

Trip interruption: Reimbursement up to $5,000 for one-way transportation back to your home country for an unforeseen death of a family member or damage to your home country residence.

Emergency dental: Coveres dental treatment to restore or replace natural teeth lost or damaged in an accident.

Repatriation of remains: Hopefully, you don’t need to use this benefit anytime soon.

Free coverage for children: One child 14 days and older up to 10 years of age is covered for free per adult, up to a maximum of two free children per group.

And What About Me?

Do I believe the hype? Yes, I’m currently covered through Nomad Insurance.

I’m a newcomer to SafetyWing and, fortunately, haven’t needed to make a claim. SafetyWing’s TrustPilot rating of 4.2 gives me confidence that I shouldn’t have an issue filing a claim if need be.

Furthermore, I’m an active snowboarder. The Nomad Insurance standard plan already includes snowboarding and the terrain park within resort limits, so luckily, I don’t require the adventure sports add-on at this time.

I’m also an SNSI-certified advanced scuba diver.

And diving with sharks in the Galapagos Islands is my jam.

However, I’m not anticipating scuba diving anytime soon, so the adventure sports add-on is not applicable to me — for now.

Final Thoughts

Travel insurance is one of my requirements when backpacking or working on the road.

With SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance 2.0, travel medical insurance plus the optional adventure sports and electronics theft add-ons are must-haves for travelers.

Furthermore, the electronics theft add-on has equal or better benefits than many premium credit cards. Believe me, I have a premium credit card with AMEX.

So when you’re shopping around for travel medical insurance with added benefits, you won’t go wrong choosing Nomad Insurance. Read the complete SafetyWing review.

Vincent Croos
About the Author: Vincent Croos

Hola Parceros,

I’m the founder of Aperlust. I enjoy web development and SEO and am into snowboarding and linguistics. In my spare time, you can find me destroying my opponents in chess across the globe.

Get Travel Tips, Improve Your Photography, and Receive the Best Last-Minute Vacations Deals

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This