You may be going to Zermatt to hike, ski, or snowboard. Or maybe just to see the cute town in Switzerland which is home to the iconic Matterhorn mountain. I’ll let you know how to go from Zurich Airport to Zermatt by train.
Follow these steps:
- After arrivals go to switzerlandinfo or to the SBB Railway Travel Center (building/shopping center across from airport) to buy your train ticket.
- Buy your ticket to Zermatt (usually a connecting train via Visp).
- Find the platform for your train which is in the building across from the airport. You’ll see signs.
- Use the escalator or elevator to go to the train platform.
- Aboard the train when it arrives.
- Now, you’re on your way to Zermatt. You may have to depart and board another connecting train to Zermatt.
- The trip usually takes about 3.5 hours.
How Much Does the Train Cost?
It usually costs 129 CHF to take the train from Zurich Airport to Zermatt.
What is the Best Way to Go From Zurich to Zermatt?
Taking the train from Zurich to Zermatt provides the best value in terms of price and time.
How Long is the Train Ride?
The journey by train from Zurich Airport to Zermatt takes approximately 3.5 hours.
A Few Important Notes
Rail service in Switzerland is categorized in to 1st and 2nd class. 2nd class will suffice and is about 100 CHF cheaper from Zurich Airport to Zermatt. There will be fare inspectors.
The best way to go from Zurich Airport to Zermatt by train is via Visp (direction Brig) since this will require the least amount of connecting trains at 1. The train departs every hour.
The full-price ticket of 129 CHF is open-ended. You can save a bit of money by buying online for a specific departure time. You may see significantly cheaper prices (50% off) online for travel between Zurich Airport and Zermatt but keep in mind those prices may require you to have purchased a Swiss Half Fare Card for 120 CHF.
Zermatt is car-free. So, you can’t drive into it unless you’re a local, have a permit, or have a right to be there. The town does have electric shuttles and taxis to take you to the hotels or ski lifts but it’s small enough that you may not need them.
A private taxi transfer from Zurich Airport to Zermatt will cost you around 830 CHF. There is also an option to use Air Zermatt’s helicopter to fly from Zurich to Zermatt. You’ll need baller money. But taking the train seems to be the best value depending on the size of your party.
What are your plans in Zermatt? Let me know below.